View Single Post
Old 10.08.2019, 14:43
Forum Legend

Groaned at 80 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 15,665 Times in 6,942 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dutch boating license "Klein Vaarbewijs I" valid in CH?

Quote:
View Post
Just re-read that, but it reminds me of a related question that I've thought about but not investigated - can I, as a Swiss resident holding an ICC, charter a boat on the foreign side of a shared lake, e.g. from Evian on Lake Leman, and legally use it even on the Swiss side of the notional border?
That might work in case of Lago Maggiore, Lago Lugano, and Lake Geneva. The case of Lake Constance is special as there is no defined border and the status of the lake is handled by a multinational contract between Austria, Germany, and Switzerland (henceforth the "need" for "Ferienpatent Bodensee").

There are binational contracts for the other lakes, so look into them (As alsways with Swiss law you can change the language on the very top. I linked to the local language version):

In case of Lake Geneva you will need a permit valid at your place of residence (if resident of France or Switzerland). If you have no residency in either country the permit must be valid in the country the vessel is registered or stationed (in case registration is not necessary). If the vessel is not registered in France or Switzerland, nor stationed regularly in either country you must have a permit valid in the country where the vessel was watered into Lake Geneva.
Art. 6 Accord entre le Conseil fédéral suisse et le Gouvernement de la République française concernant la navigation sur le Léman https://www.admin.ch/opc/fr/classifi.../index.html#a6

Same goes for Lago Maggiore and Lago Lugano with residency, registration, etc. in Italy or Switzerland respectively Art. 6 Convenzione fra la Svizzera e l'Italia per la disciplina della navigazione sul lago Maggiore e sul lago di Lugano https://www.admin.ch/opc/it/classifi.../index.html#a6

To answer your question: No this does not work. As a Swiss resident, if your foreign permit is no longer valid in Switzerland, it is no longer valid on the other side as well