View Single Post
Old 11.08.2019, 18:54

Groaned at 14 Times in 9 Posts
homesick_alien has earned the respect of manyhomesick_alien has earned the respect of manyhomesick_alien has earned the respect of many
Re: Replacing BMW tyres - change to standard from runflats?

Hi All,

Have installed my new tyres (Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3).

Just reporting back on the experience of switching from run-flats. In short: yes, it makes a difference!

Over minor cracks, small holes, and rumble strips you can tell immediately, the softer side walls of the tyres absorb the shock much more effectively. You can still feel the bumps but the sharpness is gone.

Biggest / most noticeable difference: when driving fast (50-80 kph) on rougher surface roads (chose a nearby country road as reference to make it less subjective) it is MUCH MORE smoother!! with the run-flats I could feel the cracks in the road through the suspension and steering... a very very different experience with the standards (quieter, softer and I do not feel the jolt so much, its still there but the tyres are taking the edge out of it).

For me its a very pleasant surprise and I will never go back to run-flats. I'll take my chances with the risk of puncture etc.

Too early to think of any compromises (durability? etc.) perhaps one thing I noticed is a very slight wobble when steering on a sweeping bend on the autobahn but im probably analyzing too much..

Hope this helps.
The following 3 users would like to thank homesick_alien for this useful post: