View Single Post
Old 13.08.2019, 13:21
Forum Legend

Groaned at 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,783 Times in 1,701 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rights during construction work

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

My landlord (who also lives in the same building) is planning to do some renovation work to the outside of the building. This will last 3 months and the whole place will be covered with scaffolding. They have informed us that during the day it will be noisy and dusty.

Does anyone know what my rights are here? Are we entitled to some discount in the rent for the duration? They have offered a reduction that amounts to 5% of my rent, which to be honest feels like so little I would have felt happier if they offered nothing at all.

Thanks for any help.
Join the local branch of ASLOCA (tenants association), you'll find them in the telephone book or on google.
They're best placed to advice you of your rights for this and any other issues that might arise from being a tenant in Switzerland.

Realistically, you're probably entitled to a reduction in rent for the duration of the work, but it won't be much as it seems to be fairly minor exterior work rather than anything more disruptive.

Also; if there are other renters in the building ask them what they're thinking/doing about this.
A group action is always more effective than going solo, just bear in mind that the owner might decide to not renew your tenancy when it become due. Another reason for having the backing of ASLOCA if that happens.
This user would like to thank Anjela for this useful post: