View Single Post
Old 13.08.2019, 21:51
Forum Legend

Groaned at 77 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 11,463 Times in 4,655 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Worthwhile/valuable/useful - are you?

Quote:
There can be no value judgments on somebody's life, nobody knows what the ultimate goal of life is. Follow one basic tenet and your life is worthwhile though...

"Be excellent to each other".
Yes, nobody knows. Yet some people do, indeed, have the temerity to pass value judgments on other people's lives, sometimes terribly harshly so, even though nobody knows the sufferings or burdens of another.

Years ago at a tram stop, I watched as a junkie, very hyped, desperately thin, shaking, and not really even seeing the people he addressed, begged. A very stylish Sprüngli woman who could have been his grandmother told him that he ought to be ashamed of himself, that he and his type were a scourge in our society, that people like him turned our beautiful city into filthy rags. He physically recoiled from her. As he turned away, I happed to be next in line to be begged from. I had a coin in my jacked pocket, so I gave it to him (I don't usually, but the guy had taken a really ugly verbal beating.) Suddenly his eyes cleared, and he said to me: "Thank you. If I can scrape enough together, this time I'm going to buy double. Maybe it'll be the Golden Shot, and I'll be outta here. Whatever is afterwards, surely I won't have to be reduced to dirt by tirades from such hateful people."
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post: