View Single Post
Old 14.08.2019, 11:44
Forum Legend

Groaned at 204 Times in 161 Posts
Thanked 6,943 Times in 3,105 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Yes, I am sure someone knows someone else who moved from one department to another completely different department in a company, as is ALWAYS the case on EF , but I am talking generally. If you are head of Finance in a company, you don't often end up being moved to head of quality control for a few months then shunted over to HR for a stint.
Well actually... all you need to do is look at the annual financial reports of the company’s and you can quickly see that many holdings financial positions have no qualification in the area...

There was once an Irish finance minister who was very unpopular with his colleagues and the civil service because he was actually qualified for the job! He was a senior member of the accounting profession and he had this crazy idea about not wasting money..... so they got shot of him by nominating him to the EU commission!

Unfortunately he was not very popular there either as the crazy ideas continued - he cut the number of financial advisors by 70% on the basis that since he was one they were no needed! And even worse he thought he was capable of making financial decisions without following the recommendations of his administration. There was a lot of opposition to him being reappointed.

I read somewhere that the only time US military spending fell in real terms was during the Eisenhower period. On one occasion he resisted pressure from the military to build new long range missiles on the basis that they could just move the current ones a little closer!