View Single Post
Old 14.08.2019, 11:25
Forum Legend

Groaned at 480 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 13,879 Times in 5,517 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

Quote:
View Post
Its impossible to be objective as major factors, say interior design, are by definition subjective.

However, I for one look at the objective facts to make an informed decision.

Simple example: I wrote that I bought a Z4 as a second car this year. Originally wanted to spend less and go for an even older SLK 350 instead. Turns out that Mercedes had some major issues with the V6 engines between 05 and 07: the balance shaft had a cog wheel made out of too soft metal. Known issue, can royally screw up an engine with repair costs around 5k. On a car worth around 11k. Mercedes kind of admits that it was a faulty part and that all parts from a certain engine number onwards are safe… but decided to not make a call back and apparently only offered to foot part of the bills for the first owners of the cars a few years back. No information on how many percent of the engines developed that problem… articles claiming anything from 5% to 100%. So I did not go for one of those, no matter how much I liked the car and the price… the people who bought those cars new are now in trouble to find an idiot to buy them off them.

had a similar experience when we bought the mustang, I was actually going to buy an SL500 but did a quick google and read the horror stories about the suspension, dealer refused to put an extra guarantee on the compressors so I walked away
This user would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post: