View Single Post
Old 14.08.2019, 19:03
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 174 Times in 78 Posts
Thanked 2,722 Times in 883 Posts
Karl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does your Krankenkasse help finance your stay in a retirement home?

Quote:
View Post
Why go to a retirement home rather than live at home?

Tom
That's exactly what we thought with respect to my mom. She lived (alone) in a big house with a beautiful garden, lots of pets and memories etc. Then the falls started. Then her drivers license was revoked due to near-accidents. We hired help and a nurse to check on her regularly, but the place started falling apart.. she would put multiple bowls of cat food throughout the house which became a magnet for bugs. Dementia set in and she could no longer take her large regimen of pills on time, or she would forget completely. The house became a mess. She could no longer cook or shop or clean for herself and would just fry a slab of bacon, leave it on the counter and pick at it for days. Her large house and garden meant she was also isolated from other people which affected her mental health (all kids live far away). So the decision to move her to an assisted living home was unavoidable. Luckily, she had purchased long-term care insurance 20 years before - the place she lives in costs 5K per month for basic care (in Florida). I would certainly want to remain in my home as well, but I have witnessed how circumstances can change to make that option impossible.
The following 3 users would like to thank Karl for this useful post: