View Single Post
Old 17.08.2019, 00:39
Forum Legend

Groaned at 87 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 11,674 Times in 4,738 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do poor kids have a chance

Quote:
View Post
Poor kids have a chance (answering the thread topic).

It's a poor chance ... but a few of the billions manage to break through, and we often hear about them. Many of the others get by, making enough to keep a roof over their heads and have regular meals. Many, however, are stuck in poverty for their entire lives not due to lack of effort, but because they worked hard but never got that lucky break which fully rewarded their efforts.
This. Thank you.

Quote:
View Post
I read a definition of a "real" job once ... basically remove all people who perform that job and see if society functions better, worse, or the same ... if it gets worse, it's a "real" job.
There's an interesting article in the Economist, posted by Sandgrounder here https://www.englishforum.ch/3091889-post42.html about useful or non-useful work, and what it does to the psyche.

In a hospital, I once saw the new board go up, of images of all the staff members of a department.

The Head Doctor's picture was mounted besides that of the Department Cleaner. He nodded and said: "Look, wow, yes, I get to have my picture next to the most important person on this ward!" A senior nurse, on hearing this, snapped at him: "Oh, don't be so pseudo-modest!" And without hesitating he answered: "But I was being serious. She is the most important person working here. When I go on leave for two weeks, the rest of you keep the ward running without anyone working in my place. If she's away for two days, with no substitute, we can close the ward completely."
The following 3 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post: