View Single Post
Old 09.09.2008, 08:47
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swisscom Port Blocking?

Quote:
View Post
They gave me an SMC model #SMCA1T-A modem when I signed up for the service. What type of modem are you using?
The SMC is a new modem Swisscom is offering. I've seen it offered only with their "low end" ADSL subscriptions ("DSL Start", "DSL Mini"). Some ideas could be:

1-Maybe they block FTP for low-end subscribers? (I doubt it, but just a thought)

2-Maybe since the modem is a new device in their inventory, there are some problems with it?

3- You say when it connects it wants to "blow out your settings". What do you mean? Actually, on my Swisscom Netopia/Motorola router the firmware is automatically updated by Swisscom, along with other settings. It seems they are taking more control of the router. Maybe Swisscom detects some different setting you made in your modem and resets it to their settings?

Having said all that, my Netopia router allows FTP and all other connections with no problems. Maybe try another computer on your modem to see if it's something on your PC or if it's actually a problem with the modem.