View Single Post
Old 24.08.2019, 18:37

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flugelrad has no particular reputation at present
Re: Sharing experience on car export to EU

I had a similar experience exporting my car to Belgium, here are the main points:

1/ I went to car registration office (Zug's Strassverkehrsamt in my case) to cancel the vehicle's "grey card" and get temprary export plates. Those plates are valid until the end of the month meaning you'd better go early in the month to make the most of them... The plates (including insurance) cost me 279.80 francs. They are not renewable so you have only 1 bullet.

2/ Then I looked for a custom agent in Belgium to deal with all the import paperwork. I chose Adam & Menten in Herstal (near Liège where the buyer of the car resides) and I was very satisfied.

3/ Then I went to Swiss/French commercial border (Zollamt Basel/Saint-Louis Autobahn) and looked for a freight forwarder who would accept to do the export clearance for me. Make sure to go early as you might have to queue in the middle of hundreds of (mostly Polish) truck drivers. The freigth forwarding companies are all located in a 2-storey buidling next to the Swiss/French custom office. It took me some time but I finally found a French forwarding agent who accepted to do the paperwork for me for 215 euros. Not cheap but I had no other options so I went for it. Don't forget to bring the car's temporary grey card and certificate of conformity and, of course, the bill of sale (you can't export the car without a buyer in the destination country).

3/ The I drove the car to Belgium and went to Adam & Menten for the custom clearance. You have only a few days to do that, make sure to go as quickly as possible or you will pay a fine if you are past the clear-by date. The custom agent's fee was 120 euros, the fine for being 1 day late was 125 euros and the VAT was 21% of the price showing on the bill of sales (custom agents check if the price makes sense).

I hope this helps someone, feel free to message me if you need more details.