View Single Post
Old 24.08.2019, 19:11
A modal singularity

Groaned at 369 Times in 240 Posts
Thanked 15,628 Times in 6,748 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

Quote:
View Post
As reported in todays Aargauer Zeitung, there have been 4 Swiss people fined by the German authorities recently for breaking the rules with regard to claiming back German MWSt (Sales Tax) when personally exporting shopping to Switzerland. There were details of 2 of the cases:
  • The shopper must be in possession of the goods when presenting the export document for validation. A Swiss woman was fined 90 for trying to claim back the MWSt on her food shopping from the previous week.
  • After getting the form stamped, you must go directly across the border (do not pass go, do not collect 200). A Swiss man is facing a 900 fine. His form was stamped at the Waldshut Zoll office but he then turned his car around and proceeded to drive back into Germany with the intention of crossing the border at another (more convenient) location
Old thread, but does anyone know if this is still the case? For the first time I'm planning to claim on some stuff I bought at Bauhaus - 800-odd euros worth, and there will be more over the next few months - for our house in Valais. Currently sitting in our garage in France, but I'll be going into CH again, without the goods, in a few days, so was hoping I could do the claim then, at the Lorrach/Riehen border post, in order to avoid a detour - indeed a double detour if I have to cross directly into CH after I do the claim - when I do take the stuff down.

And I saw talk elsewhere about a green form, seeming to suggest that you need to go back to the shop to get the tax back, but we were given something from the shop, stamped up especially, who seemed to be saying that we'd get the cash back from the offic itself, not the shop.

So what's the latest score on this please?