View Single Post
Old 24.08.2019, 22:56
bill_door bill_door is offline
Forum Veteran
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,019
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 345 Times in 262 Posts
bill_door has an excellent reputationbill_door has an excellent reputationbill_door has an excellent reputationbill_door has an excellent reputation
Re: Canton Zurich incorrect federal tax rate for 2017?

View Post
even though my employer deducts the right amount from my salary directly.
right? what is right amount? how does your employer know what your tax return, which will include all your worldly assets, will be when it is you who has to make the tax return?

it seems you are on a B permit and are subject to tax at source (Quellensteuer). in this case the Zurich Tax office instructs your employer to deduct the cantonal mean for income tax (communal,cantonal, federal) from your salary. this is the same for all B permit holders. the rate depends on your personal circumstances (family) and the actual commune you live in, but the rates are all published and known on the web.

If you do not make a tax return this is the end of it. You paid your taxes.

If on the other hand you do make a tax return then the amount deducted from your salary is a provisional amount that is adjusted and taken into account when you make your tax return and depending on what is declared in the return you may have 'provisionally' under or overpaid. if you overpaid you would have received a rebate. if you underpaid you need to pay more as appears to be in the case you described.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bill_door for this useful post: