View Single Post
Old 25.08.2019, 23:16
Forum Legend

Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What does it mean: Swiss German?

Quote:
View Post
I chumm nöd abbe!
Du chunsch nöd nöd abbe. I hane Leitere. OR Es hät Stäge.
(To my ear, niid nöd abbe sounds right-er!)
As far as I know, western dialects have "ni(i)d", eastern dialects have "nöd", except Appenzellerisch, which is a "nüd" enclave inside the purely "nöd" eastern half, and parts of the St. Galler Oberland and Bündnerisch, which have "nit" and, if emphasized, "nitta" (the latter only in the Grisons).
Quote:
View Post
Bernese: Du chunsch nid nid abbe. But nobody would say it like that. You would probably say: Abbe chunnt me immer!
Close enough, but a typical mistake made by practically all native speakers that have to write Swiss German. In reality you would say "Abbe chunt me-n-immer", i.e. with a sandi-n.

I don't think there is a Swiss German dialect that doesn't strictly stick to the sandi-n, although you can see many written examples of not using it because it is something native speakers don't even notice, so they don't use it in the rare situations when they have to formally write something.

Just one example: Maybe about 20 years ago the marketing body of Appenzeller cheese ran a poster campaign sporting the slogan, "Ächte Appezeller Chääs." Nobody would ever, ever say such. It's "Ächte-n-Appezeller Chääs." Period. Back then, you could ask any native speaker to read that slogan aloud, and they all automatically inserted that "n" without even noticing it. No exceptions.

"Gosh. I'm so old that I remember when you could tell a presidential statement from a comment on a YouTube thread." — Jimmie von Tungeln