View Single Post
Old 03.09.2019, 22:37

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
KBarb has earned some respectKBarb has earned some respect
Canada to St. Gallen part 2: Geophysicist Living in UK and Pivoting Careers

Hello everyone,

If you read my first post a few months ago, I talked about how I was living in Alberta Canada, and trying to make my way to Switzerland. A lot has happened since then, and now I live in Bristol England, working for an offshore company as a geophysicist. I accepted the job on Friday and started work yesterday. If you read back, I predicted that I would have to find work in Aberdeen, so I consider Bristol an equivalent success. This ultimately is an intermediary, so that I can get closer to achieving my final goal of settling down permanently in Switzerland.

The next challenge I must complete is develop skill sets that will win me a job in the London tech industry, so that I may eventually work for a Swiss tech company. Unfortunately, I am a geophysicist, which is not a good profession to break into tech with. My job as a Geo is finding anomalies in complicated data, writing reports and speaking to clients. While I believe that my skill sets are closest to a data analyst, I still need work on using relevant coding techniques (R, SQL) and data visualization programs. I am building my coding skills and portfolio through various projects that I publish on my personel website.

Now, I wanted to know what you people thought of all this? I know it may seem a bit silly but I have my reasons, and I'm stubborn, so please don't try and convince me out of doing it.

I would really appreciate any advice from other tech people. I have no real network to draw upon outside of a few quanty investment banking bros. If you could suggest a relevant project that I can complete with a free dataset to impress recruiters that would be super good.

Cheers,
KBarb