View Single Post
Old 09.09.2019, 11:15
Forum Legend

Groaned at 269 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 15,844 Times in 6,721 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ETF robo-advisors: True Wealth?

Quote:
View Post
The holiday home mortgage interest rate is 1.05%.
If I pay down the mortgage, I consider the money to be "gone forever", in that it's unlikely I can "re-mortgage" if I need retirement money. As it is, the mortgage covers only 40% of the property value, so I already own a substantial portion.
I've paid the maximum amount into the third pillar for all of my 10 years in Switzerland.
Since writing the original post a couple of years ago, I've done absolutely nothing with my cash, except keep it in the bank at 0% interest. I'm trying to overcome an aversion to investment caused by a pretty bad experience. Now I'm ready to have another go at it.
I've bought a book put out by "Beobachter" called "Plötzlich Geld - so legen Sie richtig an" which seems to be fantastic at explaining investment basics in Switzerland. I'm in the low to middle risk category and a "small investor". I've determined my mix should be 20% cash, 40% stocks and 40% bonds and should limit to about 10 different stocks/bonds. Now it's time to choose what to buy.
if you've been so scared that you have done nothing with cash, i'd say you are a low risk investor and wonder if you should have even as much as 40% stocks.

personally, if i were in your position, i'd keep part as cash, sell the holiday home and use the funds and rest to pay off the mortgage.