View Single Post
Old 12.09.2019, 14:27
Forum Legend

Groaned at 425 Times in 336 Posts
Thanked 18,640 Times in 7,781 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Accident insurance claim for school activity

This one is a bit strange in my opinion but it may be because of my misunderstanding of the system here.

Here's the scenario:

At school, in a school lesson, the children are put in pairs by the teacher, and one is blind-folded and the other is told to guide the blinded-folded child around.

The child being guided by my son falls down some stairs (why was this being done near some stairs?).

The child damages his teeth. Luckily it's not serious but the child needs some dental work at some cost.

The school says the claim must be made on the child's insurance. The child's insurance asks whether another child was involved and this is where my son comes into it and the insurance company wants to claim on our insurance.

I heard about this today when the boy's mother phoned me and wanted to discuss as she thought it was all a bit strange. I do too.

What I need to ask:
  • Don't schools have some sort of liability insurance?
  • Why aren't they accepting total responsibility for this?
  • Why is my son involved in the legal side of things? What if it were a group activity?
  • The teacher claimed they didn't see it actually happen. What was she doing?
  • Why did she allow this potentially fatal situation to occur?
  • Why are we hearing about this from the parent and not the school?

I'll be seeking clarification for this and I also appreciate there's probably no cost for us but the whole thing suggests that the school are shirking any responsibility and I don't find that acceptable.

Comments?

*Before any of you go red in the face and starting spitting fury, no one is asking for any compensation at all -just trying to clarify the situation.
The following 8 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post: