View Single Post
Old 19.09.2019, 11:27
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Caleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Homeschooling is banned in CH...[not really, it depends on Canton]

Can we please leave religion out of this discussion? This could be a good argument for and against home schooling. But the moment we toss religion into the argument it'll all go down in flames.

I suggest we focus exclusively on the "hard" schooling subjects in Switzerland (for practical reasons, let's use the example of a German-speaking canton, and primary school only). Primary school focuses mostly on German and Math, and to a slighly lesser extent M&U (Menschen und Umwelt = roughly Bio Sciences), R&Z (Raum und Zeit = roughly Social Sciences) and French (don't groan, Tom...Italian is elective only later on). This is what my kids had in Kanton St. Gallen. Is that similar across other cantons as well?

One of the benefits of the Volkschule is that the program is designed to allow children to progress and flow into the Secondary School, which means a homeschooling parent will have to provide a matching curriculum, unless they can commit to full Secondary School Homeschooling as well. Then they'd have to split Menschen und Umwelt into Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and split Raum und Zeiten into Geography and History. And then add French and English. And Sport. And Bildnerische Gestalten (roughly "Art"), and Kochen/Hauswirtschaft (i.e. Cooking and "home-smarts").

What parent can guarantee that they can deliver good-quality education (as measured by today's professionals, who were not trained during the industrial revolution, but rather very recently) in all of these subjects? Should the government design and implement a mechanism to test and certify hundreds of thousands of unprepared parents?