View Single Post
Old 19.09.2019, 20:21
The Marmite Moderator

Groaned at 450 Times in 344 Posts
Thanked 22,307 Times in 11,544 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much to charge for website editing work?

Not less than 800 a day, if your happy with 125 an hour for less than 1/2 day which would be 520 (65% of 800)
You should be paid as an employee with holiday pay in addition + pension payment (not a legal requirement) + AVS etc.

Quote:
View Post
For a few years, on and off, I've helped out a friend by proofreading the website for his business and occasionally writing brief articles. It's been an informal, friendly arrangement and he's slipped me the odd couple of hundred CHFs and invited me out for meals etc.

He's now sold up and the new business owner, to my surprise, has asked me to continue with the role, and to expand it, but to put the arrangement on a more professional footing by charging a normal commercial rate.

Question -- what is the normal commercial rate?! The work will involve writing occasional articles which may need some research + proofreading and light-touch editing content written by others. No design work, no strategic stuff, just writing and editing on pre-agreed topics. The work may amount to (I'd estimate) 2 days a month if I put it all together.

What's the norm here in Zurich? What sort of hourly or daily rate would seem reasonable? It's a small, but successful, IT business and I know the new owner isn't short of a bob or two. That said, I don't want to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs by overcharging.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post: