Thread: Privilege
View Single Post
Old 22.09.2019, 21:30

Groaned at 29 Times in 20 Posts
terrifisch has an excellent reputationterrifisch has an excellent reputationterrifisch has an excellent reputationterrifisch has an excellent reputation
Re: Privilege

Youngest of nine from a very hard working Irish Catholic family and yet, we lived in a so called "nice" neighborhood. My parents put everything into education; that said, we were the ones who did the menial jobs in the neighborhood that none of the other kids had an interest in: newspaper delivery, babysitter, snow shoveler you name it and it was passed down from sibling to sibling. My family held the monopoly on the part time jobs in the area.

My father's mantra, was the that the other "spoiled" children whose families we serviced would be disadvantaged in the "real" world. But that was not always the case as I reminded my father years later.

That said, my parents' sacrifice for education benefitted all of us - as did my Dad and Mom's hard work ethic. My Mom would often say to us, "Life isn't fair; so how are you going to make a difference?" Wise words...
The following 10 users would like to thank terrifisch for this useful post: