View Single Post
Old 23.09.2019, 11:23
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arind has made some interesting contributions
Re: Diversity in Swiss Local Schools?

Quote:
View Post
We chose the local school here in Basel and our son (Spanish/English) fits in perfectly, plus the school has several other nationalities and skin colours.

Other points that we considered when choosing between local/international ...

We wanted him to have friends local to where we live and this is evident now after a couple of years, i.e. when walking down the street he regularly bumps into kids from his school/class. If we had chosen the international school, this would probably not happen, as they are not close by.

We wanted him to have longer term friends. We had the feeling that the international schools are mostly occupied by expats, who are here for a short-ish period of time, so the friends potentially disappear.

The local school is very convenient to get to from home, plus has a very good reputation.

The money factor never came into the equation.
Thank you so much for this response! It's such a relief to hear! I've also been told that the local schools are much higher quality than even the private and international schools! Do you think that's true? Also, has having a child in the local school helped you to make friends with the other parents of Swiss kids? I've heard it's been quite tough to make friends with other Swiss adults and I wondered if having kids in the same school could help with that.