View Single Post
Old 03.10.2019, 11:31
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
aSwissInTheUS aSwissInTheUS is offline
Forum Legend
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 11,515
Groaned at 87 Times in 78 Posts
Thanked 17,503 Times in 7,782 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Owner selling up.

You can ask ASLOCA/Mieterverband or simply read the relevant parts of the Code of Obligations.

Art. 257h
Duty of tolerance

1 The tenant or lessee must tolerate works intended to remedy defects in the object or to repair or prevent damage.

2 The tenant or lessee must permit the landlord or lessor to inspect the object to the extent required for maintenance, sale or future leasing.

3 The landlord or lessor must inform the tenant or lessee of works and inspections in good time and take all due account of the latter's interests when they are carried out; all claims of the tenant or lessee for reduction of the rent (Art. 259d) and for damages (Art. 259e) are reserved.
Art. 261
J. Change of ownership

I. Alienation of the object

1 Where after concluding the contract the landlord alienates the object or is dispossessed of it in debt collection or bankruptcy proceedings, the lease passes to the acquirer together with ownership of the object.

2 However, the new owner may:
a. serve notice to terminate a lease on residential or commercial premises as of the next legally admissible termination date if he claims an urgent need of such premises for himself, his close relatives or in-laws;
b. serve notice to terminate a rental agreement in respect of other objects as of the next legally admissible termination date unless the contract allows for earlier termination.

3 If the new owner terminates sooner than is permitted under the contract with the existing landlord or lessor, the latter is liable for all resultant losses.

4 The provisions governing compulsory purchase are unaffected.
Art. 266l
IV. Required form of notice for residential and commercial premises

1. In general

1 Notice to terminate leases of residential and commercial premises must be given in writing.

2 The landlord must give notice of termination using a form approved by the canton which informs the tenant how he must proceed if he wishes to contest the termination or apply for an extension of the lease.
Art. 266n
2. Family residence

b. Notice given by the landlord

Notice of termination given by the landlord and any notification of a time limit for payment accompanied by a warning of termination in the event of non-payment (Art. 257d) must be served separately on the tenant and on his spouse or registered partner.
Art. 266o
3. Void notice

Notice of termination is void if it does not conform to Articles 266l-266n.
What happens when the house is sold with a tenant, a new landlords point of view Experience with the Schlichtungsbehörde as a landlord?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post: