View Single Post
Old 08.10.2019, 17:31

Groaned at 64 Times in 28 Posts
Mr.Maquiavelo has no particular reputation at present
Trickery and deceptive interviews?

I'm looking for a job at the moment and I have been caught by surprise on how many small startup companies in Zurich (not the big names though) have been inviting me for interviews and trying to use the interview process to solve their problems or get new ideas, opportunities or even IPs misusing the system to get free unpaid work. Then later no offer and despite the good impression on the interviews I get the feeling that they are simply deceiving candidates ...

Company A invited me for a technical interview and asked me to solve the architecture of their new product. They even took pictures of the solution I provided, and I never heard back from them again. They even expected me to provide feedback on their business plan and roadmap without an offer.

Company B asked me to review the core of their business idea and come up with ideas to improve it, I had an idea and shared it with them to later realize that they had no intention to follow up.

Company C asked me for "a brief time of trial working to see if we are a fit and that it normally takes from 3 days to a week". I was perplexed by this request. To work for free for them to decide ... is this even legal?

My point is, be careful with small start ups and the questions they ask in interviews as it lately seems like a blatant abuse and misuse of the interview process. I have been respectfully saying I will not answer technical questions leading to an usable solution or idea for their business without an offer or contract.

Are there laws to protect from these?

Last edited by Mr.Maquiavelo; 08.10.2019 at 17:44.
The following 3 users would like to thank Mr.Maquiavelo for this useful post: