View Single Post
Old 09.10.2019, 07:55
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 454 Times in 266 Posts
Thanked 2,818 Times in 1,275 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I certainly hope that you are right (though I seriously doubt you are).
The poorer parts of the country such as the North and the Midlands are already struggling. (Have you been lately?) How will they handle the «certain level of disruption» while waiting for new-leased prosperity?

Please forgive me for saying this, but I really feel upset when reading armchair brexiteers who will not be living the immediate consequences of a no deal.

There are already signs in pharmacies indicating shortages and Brexit hasn’t even happened yet!! What will happen to those relying on food banks? Or whose children only get a square meal when they go to school.
These are not just articles in your newsfeed, these are real people.
How will they handle a surge in food prices?
What will happen if meds such as insulin runs short?

Could you please answer concrete questions?
Places such as the North and the Midlands voted for Brexit, and then they voted in the most part for a government that stated on numerous occasions that no deal is better than a bad deal. Which is worse, being an “armchair brexiteer who will not be living with the immediate consequences of no deal”, or being an armchair remainer who implies they don’t believe people understood what they were voting for (twice), and who also doesn’t have to live with the consequences of the UK signing up to a bad withdrawal deal? The bottom line is that we’re both entitled to our opinions whether we will be affected or not.

I have been to both the North and the Midlands within the past year, and the messages I heard when I’ve been there is that people want Brexit now just as much as they did in 2016. Deal or no deal, people are fed up and just want it done. And it’s really not my job to do so to answer your questions regarding food and medical shortages. The information is all readily available on the UK government websites as to what preparations have been done to ensure medicines and food doesn’t run out. These include stockpiling and investment in express freight services. You either believe that the government is sufficiently prepared, or you don’t. And if they are not sufficiently prepared, then that is not the fault of the brexiteers, armchair or otherwise, but purely the fault of the UK government as they have had over three years to prepare for this eventuality.
This user would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post: