View Single Post
Old 10.10.2019, 10:47
Forum Legend

Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
They were elected to represent their group of people and to DO the job, not to run away when it's not easy. ROFL. In cases where they succumb, they're expected to pick it up from there and carry on/make the best of it.

In a country in which referenda are a seldom thing and when they take place are not even taken seriously, the mp's are all the people have.

So, nope, if "my" mp took to threatening of leaving in times of difficulties it would not bother me. I would wonder why I voted for such a plonker the first time.
An MPs job is represent all of their constituents on the political stage, regardless of whether they voted for them or not. In the UK, most MPs have a surgery on Fridays when they return from Westminster, where their constituents can book an appointment to speak to them one to one. I once had occasion to seek the assistance of the last Wigan MP (Labour) even though I wasn't a Labour voter. He heard my problem, wrote a letter and the problem was resolved. For bigger stuff, they raise issues with colleagues and/or in the HoC to seek out a political solution. That's their job.

My current Windsor MP (Conservative) has the nickname 'Absent Adam' because he very rarely holds surgeries or meets with his constituents. He's resolutely follows the PMs line despite being the MP for a remain area, which has caused a lot of antagonism towards him. He'll be very lucky to keep his seat because Windsor is moderate Conservative / LibDem with virtually no Labour presence, and a high percentage of international residents who work in the city or at Heathrow.

The thing with the EU referendum is that it's a tool of direct democracy and that result is butting against the traditional role of an MP in a representative democracy. Imagine you're an MP who's active in their constituency, and almost every surgery you hear these concerns and fears:
My vote isn't being respected.
My spouse hasn't been given Settled Status.
My business will struggle massively under a No Deal scenario.
My job will go with a No Deal Brexit.
My children are being told to "go home" by kids at school even though they were born and raised here.
My local pharmacist is experiencing a shortage of the insulin/epilepsy tablets that keep me alive and I'm scared.
Our youth centre/wildlife centre/country park/etc is going to lose it's EU grant. How will the government help to make up that shortfall in funding?

Who do you prioritise?

Any MP with a grain of common sense will see that there's a theme here, and wonder if they could kill several birds with one stone by rejecting a hard, no deal brexit. It might mean that they get thrown out of their party. It might mean that they lose their seat at the next election, but their overriding duty is to their constituents.

When the Conservative party has taken a sharp move the right, and Labour a sharp move to the left, it's very possible to be a traditional MP for either party and feel that, whilst your core values haven't changed, the current values of the cabinet do not share your views. It's like when your favourite band release that tricky third album and it turns out to be a pile of dog poop. You still love the first two albums, but can't embrace the third 'just because...' and why should you?!
The following 6 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post: