View Single Post
Old 10.10.2019, 11:51
Forum Legend

Groaned at 117 Times in 100 Posts
Thanked 5,145 Times in 2,434 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trickery and deceptive interviews?

Quote:
View Post
I'm looking for a job at the moment and I have been caught by surprise on how many small startup companies in Zurich (not the big names though) have been inviting me for interviews and trying to use the interview process to solve their problems or get new ideas, opportunities or even IPs misusing the system to get free unpaid work. Then later no offer and despite the good impression on the interviews I get the feeling that they are simply deceiving candidates ...

Company A invited me for a technical interview and asked me to solve the architecture of their new product. They even took pictures of the solution I provided, and I never heard back from them again. They even expected me to provide feedback on their business plan and roadmap without an offer.

Company B asked me to review the core of their business idea and come up with ideas to improve it, I had an idea and shared it with them to later realize that they had no intention to follow up.

Company C asked me for "a brief time of trial working to see if we are a fit and that it normally takes from 3 days to a week". I was perplexed by this request. To work for free for them to decide ... is this even legal?

My point is, be careful with small start ups and the questions they ask in interviews as it lately seems like a blatant abuse and misuse of the interview process. I have been respectfully saying I will not answer technical questions leading to an usable solution or idea for their business without an offer or contract.

Are there laws to protect from these?
Of course there is another possibility.... some other candidate offered a better solution or they just did not like your face.

Certainly refusing to answer technical questions on the basis that your answers would be so good that they might steal them does not paint you in a good light. You come of as arrogant, a difficult person to deal with and probably not much of a team player.

When it comes to the interview stage IT people almost always forget that the technical side plays a very limited role in the decision. You have two or three people who can fit the role technical, you’re just confirming your assumptions. The big question to answer is how will this person fit in with everyone else.