View Single Post
Old 10.10.2019, 13:45
Forum Legend

Groaned at 287 Times in 244 Posts
Thanked 21,340 Times in 7,777 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trickery and deceptive interviews?

Interviewing candidates is a whole lot of work. I very much doubt companies do this to pick brains for an hour. That would be a terrible business idea as the risk of not getting anything out is way too high and the effort does not match the outcome. I personally find it very hard to conduct interviews on the hiring side. I always prepare some sort of case study or example from every day work. Because it adds relevance. I dont think there has ever been an applicant so brilliant that he solved my issue in an hour interview and thats not the goal - i want to get an impression on how somebody thinks and works. If the applicant thinks that his ideas are so brilliant that he just within a few minutes solved what the company has been struggling with for years… well, its a case study - trust me, I knew the answer before I asked you the question. And if there were errors in the code were they there because I put them there and wanted to see if you can spot them.

I have recently interviewed with a start up company and they made me jump through more hoops than any corporate. I guess that if you are the ONE guy doing a particular job in a company is the hiring much harder than if you are one out of a team of ten doing it for a large bank. If one is an idiot will the other nine somehow sort it out later… so the startup has a higher need to get the hiring right. Having said that: some startups live in their filter bubble and are convinced that they are the most awesome people to work for ever… and give you that attitude. If that already shines through in the interview can you expect a whole lot more of that later on... so choose your job accordingly.
The following 5 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post: