View Single Post
Old 11.10.2019, 10:40
Forum Legend

Groaned at 127 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 25,825 Times in 9,927 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I completely disagree: Fulltime preschool childcare that goes all the hours a woman might want to work, not just half a day here and there... is easily some 2000 CHF. Per child. I personally know families where the woman stayed at home not because she wanted to but because the childcare for the two kids would eat up all her net earnings so it made no sense to work.
As I've said before on this forum, you can't have it both ways. Low taxes and low-priced services, such as childcare.

Yes, it costs a lot and yes, it was a decent chunk of my salary but, for me the issues were wider than that. I stayed in my career so didn't have to re-apply for jobs 5-10 years later and didn't lose any ground.

If you want to look at the surrounding countries with cheaper childcare, you also have to look at their taxes, too.

You can also find cheaper alternatives in Switzerland but you tend to see the expats on here opting for the bilingual, organic food, prissy-posh places where the staff will speak English with them and give them a daily nappy-by-nappy report then, for the purposes of this forum, this become the eye-wateringly expensive norm.

If you are on a low income, you can apply for subsidies, too, but you probably won't get the option of the prissy-posh bilingual places.

It's not that dissimilar to, say, the UK. General childcare is perhaps a bit more affordable because it receives government funding BUT, if you want little Tarquin to go to one which will teach him Mandarin and get him to grade 4 harpsichord, you will have to find the prissy-posh one which costs a bomb.

Looking at the bigger picture, it is only an expense for a max of 4 years in a child's life (probably more like an average of 2.5 years for most people) where they are in pre-school childcare, then they are into the school system which then, if you want lunches and after-school care is much, much cheaper. I think we paid something like CHF 790 per month for lunches and care until around 6.30.
The following 7 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post: