View Single Post
Old 11.10.2019, 11:05
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shortya has no particular reputation at present
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
As I've said before on this forum, you can't have it both ways. Low taxes and low-priced services, such as childcare.

Yes, it costs a lot and yes, it was a decent chunk of my salary but, for me the issues were wider than that. I stayed in my career so didn't have to re-apply for jobs 5-10 years later and didn't lose any ground.

If you want to look at the surrounding countries with cheaper childcare, you also have to look at their taxes, too.

You can also find cheaper alternatives in Switzerland but you tend to see the expats on here opting for the bilingual, organic food, prissy-posh places where the staff will speak English with them and give them a daily nappy-by-nappy report then, for the purposes of this forum, this become the eye-wateringly expensive norm.

If you are on a low income, you can apply for subsidies, too, but you probably won't get the option of the prissy-posh bilingual places.

It's not that dissimilar to, say, the UK. General childcare is perhaps a bit more affordable because it receives government funding BUT, if you want little Tarquin to go to one which will teach him Mandarin and get him to grade 4 harpsichord, you will have to find the prissy-posh one which costs a bomb.

Looking at the bigger picture, it is only an expense for a max of 4 years in a child's life (probably more like an average of 2.5 years for most people) where they are in pre-school childcare, then they are into the school system which then, if you want lunches and after-school care is much, much cheaper. I think we paid something like CHF 790 per month for lunches and care until around 6.30.
Is payment for lunches and after school care dependent on parents income or a fix amount which is the same to everyone.