View Single Post
Old 20.10.2019, 19:05
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,801 Times in 645 Posts
Traubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sourdough starter not starting?

Quote:
View Post
I started out feeding it only once per day but it was about the same as it is now at twice per day — only mild bubbling. I'll try going back to once per day if I don't think of anything else (I don't want to change a lot of things at once or I won't know what fixed it). Internet wisdom is mixed on the once/twice per day schedule — some say it's a waste of flour, others say it's useful for controlling sourness. These things are fickle :-/

It is on a granite counter but the room is fairly warm (low 20s) and the starter itself is currently at 23C (just measured it), so I think that's probably fine. I can try bottled water if nothing else fixes it but in the past I have always used tap without trouble. Granted, the previous places I had starters were the UK and USA but I am reasonably sure both places chlorinate their water (but confirming this online is much harder than I thought!)

Tonight the starter is actually looking a fair bit perkier than it was so maybe the switch to half white flour a couple of days ago is finally helping..
You don’t have to get mineral water. You can boil water and leave it to stand, or you can even just let it stand open. Sourdoughs really seem to be idiosyncratic. Someone mentioned wild yeast and a road trip. Not a bad idea. Have you tried proclaiming love for it or played it any Mozart yet?