View Single Post
Old 23.10.2019, 02:04
Forum Legend

Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
What is "Educational IQ", I have not heard that term before? I agree there are many other skills.
Perhaps I should have phrased it as academic intelligence or achievement?

Sorry in advance for waffling...
I'm that sad cow who does IQ tests for fun (pitted against my brother), but I don't have the academic qualifications to back it up and he does. I wipe the floor with him every time (in 4 Mensa tests over the years) which really pisses him off Then there's my ex-husband who didn't have an exam to his name but had a voracious appetite for reading. I taught him to play chess. After a year, I bought him a computerised chess set because I was sick of losing to him. I don't believe intelligence has a true measure, and is/or is a true measure of understanding and interpreting facts.

Quote:
View Post
Problem is many political topics are complex so being of high intelligence helps to understand them. The temptation for politicians is too dumb down complex topics to reach a wider audience and then there is a further temptation to add bias to increase popularity.
The UK has long had a Crystal Mark English campaign, and a small part of my role as a union rep was to write info in this format to be read and understood by 835 employees, so that's everyone from canteen and hygiene staff right up to senior management. http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/servic...stal-mark.html
It's relatively easy to break many complex subjects down into more understandable language which can easily be consumed by the masses, but doing so effectively is a gift, which is why we have teachers. Some people can only be reached on an emotional level (estimated to be 1/3 of the electorate) which Dominic Cummings recognised and used to great effect in the referendum campaign. All the talk of 'fear' and now, 'surrender' and 'betrayal', is emotional language specifically designed to tap into that 1/3 of the electorate.

I read somewhere recently, that... 'Nobody is as happy as they seem on Facebook, as angry as they seem on Twitter, or as successful as they seem on LinkedIn'. Personally, I think there's a hell of a lot of truth in this, and for that reason, I think there's a case for banning all political adverts from Facebook alone because it has a distinctly different dynamic.

One of the great advantages of social media is that some exceptionally gifted people are giving their time freely to explain highly complex constructs of law, such as this wonderful man... https://twitter.com/davidallengreen I didn't have the foggiest idea what 'Padfield' is in constitutional law a couple of years ago, but I have a rudimentary understanding of it now thanks to him.

The problem (as I see it) with politics is, too many politicians aren't all that bright and some who are, lack emotional intelligence, foresight or vision. There are two in particular who are being touted as future party leaders, but I really don't see what they have to offer because there are people on this forum who could run rings around them.
The following 2 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post: