View Single Post
Old 28.10.2019, 14:28
Forum Legend

Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Tories want the 12th Dec but the SNP want the 9th. What's the big fuss over 3 days here? Feel I missed something
Multiple things depending who you listen to.

1. Tories say 12 Dec offers the 3 days of debate they want to pass the WA.

2. Tories claim 9 Dec removes that debate time owing to the dissolution of Parliament.

3. PM led GE plan leaves the power to move the GE date in the hands of the PM, therefore he could force the UK to crash out of the EU at any point.

4. Uni terms end on either 9 Dec (Oxford, etc) or 13 Dec in many others. 9 Dec GE would catch the largest quota of student votes.

5. PM GE would be using the FTPA and require 2/3 of the vote to pass.

6. LD/SNP GE would be a one page amendable paper and only require a simple majority vote, therefore far more likely to garner enough support in the HoC.

I'm sure there are more reasons but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Personally, I'm not in favour of either option and have emailed my local LD branch, British In Europe and the British Embassy yesterday expressing my concern. Despite what anyone might think, that's extremely out of character for me and I've never emailed the LDs or the British Embassy before.

Two reasons...
1. The European Parliament Elections vote fiasco hasn't been addressed properly yet, nevermind resolved.

2. The CWU postal workers union have pending strike action. The dates have yet to be announced, but on social media they have been open about deliberately planning it take place on dates which will be detrimental to the postal votes, because they misguidedly believe that the majority of postal voters are Conservatives.

N.B. Quick question please? Does anyone here have a proxy postal vote set up in the UK with a person who doesn't live in their voting constituency?

Last edited by Blueangel; 28.10.2019 at 14:36. Reason: Not 75% but 2/3. Sorry!
The following 3 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post: