View Single Post
Old 29.10.2019, 15:35
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
autopoiesis is considered knowledgeableautopoiesis is considered knowledgeableautopoiesis is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I can see any large utility sales since May 1991, except the Post Office, thats 28 years. I guess you are too young to remember how long it took to get a phone line in the early 1980's, 6 months was very quick with many people waiting 18 months to be connected.

Well, no obviously, the utilities are all gone!

Rail privatisation 1994-97, and don't forget the continuous privatisation of profits via PFI, long-criticized but only recently "abandoned". (See also: renationalisation of Railtrack, Mapely Holdings scandal, etc ad nauseum...)

My point is that huge damage has, and continues, to be done under the guise of a 'mandate'. The problem is that proper determination of the 'will of the public' is impossible through ultra-low-resolution "democratic events" such as general elections, and poorly-constructed referenda.

Cheers,
auto

PS Correct: I'm too young to have been ordering a phone line in early '80s, but old enough to remember mum cooking on a camping stove, under battery-powered lights because of power cuts (in the previous decade, which I don't pretend was a utopia).

Last edited by autopoiesis; 29.10.2019 at 15:36. Reason: correction: "Rail nationalisation" -> "Rail privatisation"