View Single Post
Old 30.10.2019, 09:04
All mod cons

Groaned at 290 Times in 229 Posts
Thanked 19,529 Times in 7,690 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Why should people who have not lived in the country for over 15 years feel they have a right to dictate to those who actually live in the country day in and day out who they have to live? After 15 years you’ve made your choice.

I lost the right to vote in Irish elections after 12 months and I’ve never felt I should have a right to decide how they live over there, just because I might return some day. As far as I’m concerned they are the ones that live there so they should decide how the country is run.
You're an Irish citizen living abroad. A proposal pops up in Ireland to tax all Irish citizens at 50% of their worldwide income. You're fine with that, because "they" live there so "they" should decide how the country is run.

You're a UK citizen who went to live abroad 20 years ago. For family reasons, you will return in 2021 to live in Britain permanently. A proposal pops up that would affect every resident of the UK. Let "them" decide, you say, as it would have no effect on me... yet.

You're a British citizen living abroad. A proposal pops up in the UK that could jeopardise your right to remain abroad...

Citizenship is a privilege not to be taken lightly. It confers certain rights that must be offered evenly and consistently to all citizens. When a person leaves their country, whether with the intention to leave permanently or not, they are generally not stripped of their citizenship. So why strip them of their rights?

Remember. too, that "they" back in the UK includes EU nationals resident in the UK. But resident for how long? Should they have more rights than UK citizens to determine the future of the UK?
The following 3 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post: