View Single Post
Old 30.10.2019, 10:12
Forum Legend

Groaned at 429 Times in 320 Posts
Thanked 20,757 Times in 11,007 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
There does probably have to be a limit to when you can still vote, after x years of absence from the country.

Ideally, people would be honest and self-censoring on this issue - if you're unlikely to return (as is my current plan) - then don't vote. I don't really feel I have too much of a stake in saying the direction the country should go in, if I am no longer a part of it.

As we've discussed elsewhere - if you really want to, you can avoid that UK tax liability - if you become (if you haven't already) domiciled in Malta and divest yourself of all your UK assets, then you aren't going to be owing too much in the future - in fact you won't owe anything, just any recipients domiciled in the UK will!
I will never be domiciled in Malta as I don't intend it is the country I will die in, moving country reverts to domicile of origin. I have not decided where I will live at death. I have not even taken 'Permanent residence' in Malta like a C permit, I have re applied for ordinary residence like a B permit, there is no way I could have become domiciled in Malta.

Loosing UK domicile is more difficult than you believe, although most people will blag it & have never done a UK tax return, will probably get away with it. HNWI are not so lucky HMRC connect computer knows all about me & my movements.