View Single Post
Old 30.10.2019, 10:16
Forum Legend

Groaned at 205 Times in 162 Posts
Thanked 7,065 Times in 3,152 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You're an Irish citizen living abroad. A proposal pops up in Ireland to tax all Irish citizens at 50% of their worldwide income. You're fine with that, because "they" live there so "they" should decide how the country is run.
Well such a proposal was put forward and rejected on the bases that such citizens have left the country and should not have to fund the country since they are no longer there. And if I donít like it, it wouldnít take me about 10 minutes on the department of foreign affairs website to give up my citizenship.

Quote:
View Post
You're a UK citizen who went to live abroad 20 years ago. For family reasons, you will return in 2021 to live in Britain permanently. A proposal pops up that would affect every resident of the UK. Let "them" decide, you say, as it would have no effect on me... yet.
So on the off chance you might live there some time in the future you think you should be able to make a decision like impact peoples lives on a daily bases... you really think you have a right to make a decision that will cost people their jobs, restrict their rights to do what you did to live and work abroad, see their cost of living go up, pay more taxes or whatever just because you want to come back in 20 years time?

Quote:
View Post
You're a British citizen living abroad. A proposal pops up in the UK that could jeopardise your right to remain abroad...
You have had 15 years to sort yourself out and formalized your living arrangements. You really expect to hold the country hostage because you did not get your act together.

Quote:
View Post
Remember. too, that "they" back in the UK includes EU nationals resident in the UK. But resident for how long? Should they have more rights than UK citizens to determine the future of the UK?
Yes they actually should because they are the ones who have to live with your decision day in and day out. In 1984 Ireland voted 75% to grant voting rights to non Irish citizens on the argument that if they live there they should have the same rights to say how the country is run. I guess itís a culture thing.