View Single Post
Old 31.10.2019, 17:43
Forum Legend

Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
I think this is a bit of a media confection, getting the Pavlovian juices of Middle England flowing with the constant baseless accusations of being a terrorist (/terrorist sympathizer), anti-Semite, Commie who wants to rule over us like Stalin; when the reality is he probably just wants a few more workers' rights, a bit more wealth distribution and a bit more social mobility.
I'm most definitely not middle-England, but I'm old enough to remember the many dubious decisions he made in the 80s and early 90s. Mo Mowlam got the tone right when dealing with the IRA. Corbyn definitely didn't. The accusations were not baseless and I remember them at the time. I don't doubt he had better intentions than are commonly portrayed, but his judgement, timing and actions were nothing short of horrendous. He was also firmly linked to the SWP who were the bane of every union rep in the country who had to fight off their illegal flying pickets, in my case, literally fight them off. Add to that his actions in the coup attempt against Kinnock which consigned the UK to a further 9yrs of Tory rule... Nah. I had a belly full of him 30yrs ago and he hasn't matured with age.