View Single Post
Old 31.10.2019, 17:47

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I'm most definitely not middle-England, but I'm old enough to remember the many dubious decisions he made in the 80s and early 90s. Mo Mowlam got the tone right when dealing with the IRA. Corbyn definitely didn't. The accusations were not baseless and I remember them at the time. I don't doubt he had better intentions than are commonly portrayed, but his judgement, timing and actions were nothing short of horrendous. He was also firmly linked to the SWP who were the bane of every union rep in the country who had to fight off their illegal flying pickets, in my case, literally fight them off. Add to that his actions in the coup attempt against Kinnock which consigned the UK to a further 9yrs of Tory rule... Nah. I had a belly full of him 30yrs ago and he hasn't matured with age.
Of course, everyone is entitled to their own views on this, but whatever they are, I would suggest the right-wing media has at best "overblown" his previous positions. It was sitting down and talking to leaders of the IRA (and other interested parties of course), which very few other people seemed interested in, that eventually brought about the GFA, for example.