View Single Post
Old 13.11.2019, 14:49
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 454 Times in 266 Posts
Thanked 2,818 Times in 1,275 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Beat me to it. So instead of pioneering future energy tech, the UK can now console itself with fracking the sh1t out of pretty market towns.
Pioneering future tech (or lack of) is one of the main reason I voted for Brexit. Take the politics away and look at the EU and you’ll see it’s hopelessly ill-prepared for what’s coming. Look at the largest companies in the EU, they’re either banks or insurance companies, car manufacturers or oil and gas firms. Dinosaurs from a bygone age. There’s no tech giants like Google, Facebook or Samsung.

Like the last days of the Roman Empire, the EU is living on its past glories and won’t be able to adapt to what’s coming. There’s a demographic time bomb that’s already gone off. Whilst the EU’s population gets old and decrepit, the likes of countries you’ve barely heard of will soon become economic power houses. Countries like Indonesia, Nigeria and Uganda will have populations that will dwarf Europe. And with higher populations comes higher economic output and growth. Its already happened in China and India, and it’s going to happen across the developing world soon too.

Meanwhile the EU thinks it can battle this tidal wave by stifling competition (level playing field) and by erecting barriers to trade. This is compounded by the EU’s addiction to welfare spending (it was Angela Merkel who observed the EU makes up 7% of the worlds population, 25% of its GDP and over half of its welfare spending). In spite of this recognition, nothing has been done to change matters. The single biggest cost of the EU is still the CAP which shows no sign of going away because French farmers refuse to innovate.

Economically speaking, I don’t think long term Brexit will make a big difference one way or the other. The biggest advantage I see, and the main reason I voted for Brexit, is it will give the UK the flexibility to act on what’s going to take place in the next 50 years.
The following 2 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post: