View Single Post
Old 21.11.2019, 15:22
Mod x2

Groaned at 245 Times in 216 Posts
Thanked 20,509 Times in 8,334 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Laderach (Läderach)... run by anti-gay and anti-abortion religious fundamentalist

Quote:
View Post
I don't know how you define modern but I know quite a few Christians who I would not consider especially modern but who don't have a problem with homosexuality. Or if they do they don't talk about it. I even know one very un-modern Christian who is also openly gay. He sings in a choir that specializes in Gregorian plainsong, and he is writing a PhD thesis about medievil religious paintings, so you can't get much more old fashioned than that. I see and read of a lot of intolerant Christians on the media and so don't doubt that they really exist, but for some reason my paths and theirs rarely seem to cross.
It doesn't surprise me. Within the Anglican church, there is the liberal wing and the evangelical wing, and a spectrum between them. In this context, liberal means holding to liberal theology, whereas evangelical means (loosely) that they hold to the bible being the source of all authority in theological matters.

There is also the traditionalist wing and the modernist wing. Some traditionalist are evangelical, some are liberal. Similarly for modernists. Attitudes towards homosexuality don't strictly follow either axis.