View Single Post
Old 21.11.2019, 15:36
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,096 Times in 800 Posts
Caleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Laderach (Läderach)... run by anti-gay and anti-abortion religious fundamentalist

Quote:
I suspect that most Christians are nice, normal people. Most leaders who seek to use Christianity, however, as a device for turning people against a group of "Sinner Xs", are not too nice and not too Christian.
I respectfully disagree, on the basis of "no true Scotsman", i.e. "No true Christian would be less than nice; if someone claiming to be Christian does some less than nice, then they're no true Christian". Common informal fallacy, and a great shield to hypocrisy and double-standards. Please try to follow my reasoning:

I think most religions today are marred by the heritage of dogmas written hundreds of years ago. Any TRUE religious person today would be incapable of fitting in any society, perhaps outside of the Taliban, or ISIS. Therefore, in a civilized society, nobody is really, truly religious. It's a comtemporary interpretation of the religion, as each individual sees fit.