View Single Post
Old 21.11.2019, 16:42

Re: Laderach (Läderach)... run by anti-gay and anti-abortion religious fundamentalist

Quote:
But sometimes society does break down, and shows all those "nice" people in their - our - true colours: Rwanda, Germany, Fallujah... it's a long list.

I doubt any of the people in Fallujah, for example, woke up one morning thinking "I just fancy beating, stabbing and tearing the limbs off a couple of Americans today", yet by teatime they'd done just that. The Holocaust was perpetrated by bakers and plasterers and schoolmasters. And on, and on, throughout history...

We all have it inside us, just waiting for the opportunity and the excuse.

But in the meantime, we're just a bit grumpy with fellow passengers on the bus, and fail to wipe the coffee granules off the staff kitchen worktop...
I think society breaking down like that is rarely the choice or the doing of the normal nice people in that society.

At the end of the day, we are social animals, but animals still. If your life is under constant threat and you need to fight for limited resources, you can very quickly become not very nice.

The good news is that state is usually temporary, as seen by the integration of Somalis, Eritreans, ex-Yugoslavs etc etc into Switzerland - off the football field they are some of the friendliest people I've met here.
This user would like to thank for this useful post: