View Single Post
Old 23.11.2019, 19:14
Forum Legend

Groaned at 447 Times in 385 Posts
Thanked 18,697 Times in 9,896 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Second home owners who live abroad will be easy prey & currency controls so people cant take their money abroad.

Before Mrs Thatcher ended currency controls in 1979 you could only take £600 per person when leaving the UK, 1 reason that Thomas Cooke & package holiday were so popular.

Of course the only £8 a week extra tax on 80k does not add up as it produces roughly £350 million, about 0.3% of the NHS budget.

If the smug grins do vanish along with their money, then the working man will have to pay far more as he did in the 1970's when base tax rate was 34% & personal allowance £720 (£2736 inflation adjusted rather than £12,500 today). Someone earning £15000 would pay £4169 under Labours old rules v £500 today. Oh & there was NI on top as well

The Conservatives have cut taxes for the poorest 43% of adults who pay currently ZERO.
Reminds me shortly before 1979 I had a business trip into Europe and I declared I was carrying less than £1 so they searched me; luckily without rubber gloves!
The gaping hole in the £600 per person limit was that one could pay abroad with credit cards without any questions later; at least in my experience.
The other benefit I had was the local affiliates of the multinational I worked for were happy to advance local currency in cash; later to be justified by handing in receipts. Also avoided irritating rules by the UK affiliate on limits on how much one could spend on meals, hotels, and entertainment.

Must admit I am still stumped about which party I would vote for, basically because I do not see a PM candidate I would be proud of!