View Single Post
Old 23.11.2019, 20:32
Forum Legend

Groaned at 206 Times in 163 Posts
Thanked 7,111 Times in 3,177 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Reminds me shortly before 1979 I had a business trip into Europe...
Yap the good old days... NOT. The first stage of the dance - the CBI and the BOE got together and argued over the limits for the next month... next step was that on the first working day of the next month, juniors like myself were dispatched to both the CBI and BOE offices with the same client request to authorise forex transactions... if you got one of the two approved a happy client, if you got both approved a happy client and a sad banker as you'd loose one the forms and the quota would go unused... both rejected, then a sad client....

Then Ireland stopped using sterling... sad accounting firms - no more easy fees from getting approvals.... very sad juniors - no more spending your days drinking coffee and shooting the breeze with your mates at the CBI or BOE while waiting to get your requests approved....

Even small accounting and legal firms in Ireland and the UK, used to try and recruit trainees with suggestions of international travel.... UK trainees discovered that international travel was Dublin and Irish trainees discover it was London!