View Single Post
Old 25.11.2019, 11:17
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 438 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 2,708 Times in 1,233 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So what benefits do you believe will come from Leave?
Your question has little relevance to the point I was making and I imagine that after close to 25,000 opinions on the matter that this has been done to death. I could be mistaken and it could just be 25,000 postings of people complaining about a democratic vote. There only appears to be one Brexiteer member so perhaps this isnít too far from the truth.

Weíre 18 days away from a likely Conservative majority and 10 weeks away from the UK leaving the EU, so probably too late to be discussing the pros and cons of Brexit. In fact, it doesnít really make sense to discuss this unless one is still in denial about the outcome of the vote in 2016.

For what itís worth, Iíve already given my reasons for voting for Brexit. I believe the EU is the disease that purports to being the cure. I believe the EU to be fundamentally undemocratic, that it is incapable of reform, and hopelessly unprepared for the challenges it faces in the coming decades.

As for the advantages, I donít think Brexit will be one stop answer that many Brexiteers hope it will be. I think the effect to the UK economy will be negligible; undoubtedly a Jeremy Corbyn led government carries far more risk than Brexit ever could. There are certainly some immediate benefits in that divorce bill aside, the UK will no longer have to contribute to the EUís slush fund. Furthermore, the UK will avoid the reigns of the hopeless Ursula von der Leyen and the criminal Christine Lagarde.

The key advantages of Brexit however are long term which come with the return full sovereignty (and with it accountability) to the UK. No longer will Brussels be blamed for problems of the UK's own making. Looking further Brexit will also allow the UK to find her own place in the World and be better placed to adapt to the coming challenges ahead. The UK will be able to make the adjustments necessary only thinking of her own self interests rather than that of 27 other countries to become more competitive in a changing world. Most importantly the UK will no longer be tied to an expansionist EU intent on federalising.
This user would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post: