View Single Post
Old 25.11.2019, 22:27
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,944 Times in 1,900 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
In the early 70s I worked a 4 day week in the accounting department of a now-defunct airline. We worked from 0730 to 1800 but just for four days. Most people took either Fri or Mon off, but a few chose Wednesday. Although it was difficult to measure many were convinced productivity improved.

As an example every job has a setup and takedown costs coming from arriving, taking off your boots, finding your slippers, tracking down the tea ladies for that first cuppa, turning on your machines (pre desktop) like calculators, photocopy telex machines, fax machines, reading and distributing the telexes and cables etc. etc. Doing these things 4x a week rather than 5 (out of your 40 weekly hours) created time to actually do some of the real work..

I recall one winter the flight schedules worked out where one could get leave for the airport after work Thursday, fly to Hawaii arriving late Thursday - but generally before midnight. Two and a half full days in paradise before catching the plane back. It arrived around 0630 local giving you time for a quick shower and shave before work. Other than the Christmas/New Years weekends we made this trip every weekend from October to March. At the cost of zero vacation days. As I recall my vacation allotment that year was 6d, 6h and 22 1/2 minutes (based on 4 day week). Flight tickets were free ($8), hotels were never full so we could get airline rates, food and booze as cheap as at home. Ah, Id do it again.
Great story!

Look I think its important to understand the difference. Doing a 4 day week on shifts totalling 40 odd hours is great as effort wise your still putting in the same amount. Labour is talking a real 4 day week, ie 32 hours. This is the unworkable bit.
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post: