View Single Post
Old 25.11.2019, 22:59
Forum Legend

Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
In the early ‘70s I worked a 4 day week in the accounting department of a now-defunct airline. We worked from 0730 to 1800 but just for four days. Most people took either Fri or Mon off, but a few chose Wednesday. Although it was difficult to measure many were convinced productivity improved.
Well that's blown me away! I had you pegged at 30 something.
Quote:
I recall one winter the flight schedules worked out where one could get leave for the airport after work Thursday, fly to Hawaii arriving late Thursday - but generally before midnight. Two and a half full days in paradise before catching the plane back. It arrived around 0630 local giving you time for a quick shower and shave before work. Other than the Christmas/New Years weekends we made this trip every weekend from October to March. At the cost of zero vacation days. As I recall my vacation allotment that year was 6d, 6h and 22 1/2 minutes (based on 4 day week). Flight tickets were free ($8), hotels were never full so we could get airline rates, food and booze as cheap as at home. Ah, I’d do it again.
Finally someone who remembers plating tickets and I so miss agent rates. We used to get any Radisson for £40, Accor for £30-35, etc, but free flights dropped off after 9/11 except for fam trips. Only been to Hawaii a couple of times. Used to stay at the Outrigger Hobron, spend all day swimming from Dukes Bar and grab dinner at the Ala Moana mall, but much preferred Haleiwa.