View Single Post
Old 26.11.2019, 00:36
Forum Legend

Groaned at 447 Times in 385 Posts
Thanked 18,688 Times in 9,889 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I've listed benefits. You've just chosen to ignore them, which is fair enough, but at least be honest.

So apart from fishing rights, supremacy of UK law, the ability to select who goes and lives in the UK, £15 billion annually, the ability to choose how £4.5 of the UK's own money is spent there, the ability to dictate own trade policy, the ability to set tariff rates, etc. I could go on, but you're not interested. Like 99% of all UK voters, you're not going to change your mind, which is the reason the polls have barely shifted in three and half years.

To correct you on a few of your points. The UK will have legally left the EU on January 31st. This is what got everyone in a so much of a panic before the last deadline in October. Nothing is for free as you state (very Corbynesque), however the likes of Hungary, Portugal and Poland get paid as net recipients of EU funds to enjoy access.

As for your return of full sovereignty argument, Brexiteers are rightly annoyed because Brexit has been continually frustrated. You will see true sovereignty on December 13th when many of these charlatans lose their seats. The same can't be said for removing Ms Lagarde and Ms von der Leyen.
Hmmm!
"Fishing rights"; currently UK boats have fishing rights in EU waters where there is a wide variety of fish. There are no Cod, Haddock, Salmon or Cold water prawns in UK waters in commercial quantities. I am sure the Brits will learn to love the Herring and Mackerel that are in UK waters.

"The supremacy of UK law", it will be many years before the UK can shake off all EU laws which are imbedded in UK law but the Tories are already working on reducing worker rights.

"The ability to select who goes and lives in the UK", every year for many years there were more non-EU immigrants than EU. Anyway, new trade agreements will include immigration rights.

"The ability to dictate own trade policy" depends on negotiating new free trade agreements and so far all major potential partners have stated UK will only get a deal which is not so good as their EU deal.

"£15 billion annually" Nonsense, as I already explained, UK will be lucky if it can replicate all the EU services without an increase in cost, think of economy of scale (economies of scale are the cost advantages that enterprises obtain due to their scale of operation, with cost per unit of output decreasing with increasing scale).

"The ability to set tariff rates", more nonsense, the WTO already rejected the UK proposals.

"Hungary, Portugal and Poland get paid as net recipients of EU funds to enjoy access" and how is this a benefit to the UK?

"many of these charlatans lose their seats" 90% of the people standing for the next Parliament are existing MPs; who do you think will replace them?