View Single Post
Old 29.11.2019, 10:27
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 35 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,166 Times in 352 Posts
smileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond repute
Customs - calculating value of imported goods

So I've recently inherited amongst other bits and bobs, a nice looking but old industrial power drill. It's in the UK and I plan to bring it home to Switzerland in the coming weeks.

Whilst I'm there, I will also collect an industrial saw, currently dismantled, not guaranteed to work by its current owner, but I'm hoping I can reassemble it and repair it if needed.

In both instances, I don't know the current value of the items - the first is a discontinued product, I haven't been able to find an equivalent to it on ebay.co.uk or on ricardo.ch; and whilst it has value to me, I have no idea what to state on a customs declaration. The latter - I wouldn't even know where to start on valuing it from a parts perspective, as it also is a discontinued product, I haven't been able to find a parts list online, and I've not seen anything like it on ricardo.ch. I have seen old models on ebay.co.uk from time to time for £600, but I'm loathe to apply this value given that right now, I have no certainty that the thing even works, and I won't know until I get it assembled again.

Like a good little citizen, I reached out to the EZV folks, to explain the situation. Their first response was to refer me back to their website (which I've combed through multiple times and not found an applicable answer).

I've asked again, restating the full circumstances and the response has been
"We donít have any lists of how to calculate a price for used goods.
You could possibly look it up on the internet for example how much you would still get for it."

So, are there any other EF'ers who've been in a similar situation?

Do I just travel back from the UK to the Swiss border with a car full of old industrial tools and plead ongoing ignorance? Do I make a random guess and pay a random amount and hope I'm right? Do I get it weighed as scrap metal currently, and checked if that alone is over the 300 chf limit?