Thread: Pomerian Dog
View Single Post
Old 04.12.2019, 13:46

Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
AnnaSophiaA has an excellent reputationAnnaSophiaA has an excellent reputationAnnaSophiaA has an excellent reputationAnnaSophiaA has an excellent reputation
Re: Pomerian Dog

The OP is possibly referring to Pomeranians as “miniature spitz” because in French at least, that’s essentially what they’re called, “spitz nain” (“dwarf” being a better translation than “miniature”). This is, of course, assuming that the OP is familiar with the French name for the Pomeranian. So I could be totally wrong

A lot of people I know who are really into their dogs go to other countries and then import the puppy. In the breeds I’m into, this is at least partially because the Swiss breeders have a bit of a bad habit of not outbreeding enough. Some Swiss Appenzeller breeders for instance always use the same bloodlines, and more and more a true breed lover who wants to preserve the genetic integrity has to go to other countries. My dog’s breeder is planning to go to Finland or Russia to import her next stud. She says France and Switzerland have had their heads in the sand regarding genetic diversity regarding the Appenzeller at least. Of course on the other hand there are loads of farm bred dogs with mixed descent including Appenzeller among others. If they held up to the rigors or behavior and health testing, I can say my personal opinion is that many breeds could stand to allow a little cross breeding to bring back some new genetic material, but that will probably never happen. I do legitimately think we might start to see the disappearance of many breeds due to too little diversity over generations of breeders. I was aghast to hear my neighbor say that her nephew got another Swiss White Shepherd puppy and her comment was—“so she’ll die of cancer too, just like all the other Swiss Whites he’s had.”

But I see I’ve digressed
This user would like to thank AnnaSophiaA for this useful post: