View Single Post
Old 08.12.2019, 18:15
Forum Legend

Groaned at 96 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 12,513 Times in 5,073 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Divorce lawyer and advice

Quote:
View Post
The general concept behind alimony, I think, is that it should compensate a party (very often, the wife) for economic opportunities said party has given up to take care of children and/ or create a home, whatever creating a home means. To order you to pay alimony, the court would have to believe that your husband gave up a career, or made some other serious economic sacrifice in a disproportionate degree relative to you.
Yes, that is my understanding, too. However, I reached - from my armchair general knowledge (am not a lawyer!) - the opposite conclusion from you.

Quote:
View Post
Obviously this could be true in your case but seems very unlikely from the outside.
As I understood OP, she, her husband and their child moved from abroad, where the husband used habitiually to work, to Switzerland, 14 months ago. She is working here. That makes it sound like he is what is known as a "trailing spouse" who gave up on his career/employment/prospects in Otherland, to come here because living here is what his wife chose, for her career, or her wife's wish to be near her mother.

Quote:
View Post
From what I have seen and read up, it would be really hard to imagine the court deciding that you should pay him alimony.
Under those circumstances, alimony payments from her to him may be seen by a Court as reasonable.

Last edited by doropfiz; 08.12.2019 at 18:32.